St Paul's, Kyneton
In April 1851 Rev. James Sullivan was appointed to the Cure of Kyneton and Mt Macedon.
There was no church at this stage and services were held in the Alms House on Cemetery Road (Ebden Street).
1852 saw a substantial part of the original Rectory built from local bluestone.
This building is situated on the corner of Ebden and Piper Streets. It is now a private home and holds the National Trust Classification "C".
A design for the Anglican Church, which was submitted by Messrs Webb and Taylor of Melbourne, was accepted and the Foundation Stone was laid on 27th December 1855. Even though the internal walls were not painted or plastered the official opening was held on Sunday 30th November 1856. The first Bishop of Melbourne, Bishop Perry, officiated.
During April 1856 the South wall of the Church collapsed during severe storms. Despite this and other problems construction of the Church took only eleven months and at a cost of £8,000. In 1864 the internal walls were plastered and the ceiling lined. The first Vestry was formed in 1862. There were 35 men on the Vestry including the first two Church Wardens.
St Paul's was used first for public worship on 30th November 1856. The church was consecrated on 3rd December 1862.
A gallery, a gift of Mr Boulton, was added in 1857.
From St Paul's - A History of our Church' compiled by Lionel Pavey, 1996.